Driving Competitive Advantage and High Performance
Without strategy, no organization can exist. It’s about gaining a position of advantage over competitors or best exploiting emerging possibilities. It makes the difference between winning, and losing.
When PEO works with you, we are constantly thinking about new and innovative ways for your organization to win. Working collaboratively with your leaders, we quickly assess aspects of your business, identify and design, where feasible, strategies to unlock new sources of advantage, and advise you in managing the change.
To accelerate your journey to success, we bring the right strategy expertise, real hands-on experience and transformation insights to each engagement. We employ a variety of methods and tools to achieve results, fast. See our capabilities below:
Enterprise Risk Management
Pro-active enterprise risk management is a critical source of competitive advantage and high performance.
A key lesson learned from the recent global economic meltdown was that organizations must place advanced risk management at the top of the executive agenda. Reeling from the devastating blows experienced during the economic meltdown, senior executives, business owners and shareholders have realized that enterprise risk management is now a critical business driver and source of sustained growth and long-term competitive advantage.
Moving enterprise risk management from the nice to do`s list of activities to a forward looking, enterprise-wide approach to effectively manage the spectrum of business risks is the only way to survive.
Yet, many small to mid-sized organizations are still struggling with making room in their agenda to proactively identify and manage risk. Time and capability seem to get in the way.
Let PEO help out to accelerate your identification of business risk and ways to both eradicate some of the key risk issues and build the right internal processes to effectively and proactively manage risk going forward.
Examples of important questions related to enterprise risk management:
- What are our key business risks and what are we doing about it?
- How do we know when a risk is a really big risk? What would tell us so?
- What are we doing to enable long term and sustainable profitable growth?
- What are we doing to infuse a culture of risk in our organization?
- Who should actually be managing risk inside our organization?
8 Quick Tips for Managing Risk
- Make enterprise risk management a top C-suite agenda item
- Invest time to identify the key risks and build a 30-Day, 60-Day, 90-Day to reduce or eradicate the risk
- Accelerate risk management mindset to deliver more complete business solutions that drive competitive differentiation
- Build risk management thinking into strategic planning, objective setting and incentives, financing decisions and performance management processes
- Improve sophistication of measurement, modeling and analytics to anticipate risks in an increasingly complex environment
- Integrate risk management capabilities across the organization
- Infuse risk awareness into every day conversations
- Encourage employees to identify risk affecting the customer relationship and operational efficiencies
Advisory services options
Our risk management accelerator services are rapidly identify your organization’s key risk areas and specific hurtful risk, and to design an action plan with solutions to reduce or eradicate the risk. Services include, for instance, clearly documented delineation of accountability for risk management, identification of key risks and recommendations, effective board structure for effective risk management, improved monitoring, reporting and risk management internal processes, etc. Contact us to find out how we can help you.
Vision, Mission, Values
Vision, missions and values form every organization’s strategic compass. Together, they guide the direction of the company, enable leaders to make the right strategic and operational decisions, formulate the right workplace culture and encourage the right employee behaviours. The vision tells the story of the future destination; the mission tells how value is created; and values direct how employees make decisions and behave.
Examples of important questions central to the development of an organization’s mission, vision and values are:
- What are we passionate about and what can we be the best in the world at?
- What do we want to be known for in our chosen markets?
- What guiding principles and aspirations do we always work for?
- Do our employees and customers understand our vision and what we believe in?
- How do we ensure that our mission is broadly embraced across the organization and not just seen as words on paper?
- How do we communicate and socialize our vision to generate the best internal alignment?
- How do we bring value to the market?
- In delivering a value proposition, what are the key activities, distribution channels, cost structure and revenue opportunities?
- What specific medium-to-long-term strategic goals must we achieve?
- How do we want to behave internally and with our customers?
- Are our behaviours, products and services consistent with our desired brand?
Advisory services options
Our vision, mission and value generation accelerators are designed to drive results fast. Each strategy accelerator is delivered to you through a customized solution or a 1-2 day workshop. It all depends on your needs and timing. Contact us to find out more.
Striving to be a good organization is no longer enough to remain successful in this hyper competitive marketplace. Enterprising thinking and determination of the corporate strategy along with savvy management of the corporate portfolio is crucial to sustained superior value creation.
Successful organizations define the strategy and regularly revisit their portfolios to understand the drivers of advantage and identify avenues for future growth. Being clear on strategic objectives and their priorities separate the winners from the losers.
Examples of important questions to remain on top in today’s environment:
- What are our key financial and customer objectives for growth? What do they mean and why are they important? Are these objectives aligned to our vision?
- How do we operationalize our financial and customer objectives to ensure we invest in the right practices, processes and innovations to derive and capture value?
- How can we manage our portfolio for long-term sustainable value creation? Which initiatives are going to drive the biggest bang for our buck?
- Which businesses should we be in to drive growth?
- What are our key measures of success, and how should we differentiate goals, metrics, and incentives across the portfolio?
Advisory services options
Our corporate strategy development accelerators are designed to drive results fast. We employ a variety of leading management practices and tools to identify strategic objectives, priorities, measures of success and the identification of key initiatives to drive value. These accelerators are delivered to you through a research, planning, and 1-4 day workshop. It all depends on your needs and timing. Contact us to find out more.
Project Portfolio Management
Manage and reduce the cost of business by identifying and effectively managing key initiatives and projects that create value, improve operational processes or achieve an important desired business outcome. Implement key management practices and adopt the right tools to analyze key information to start, perform or kill project / work that adds little or no value. Determine the optimal mix and sequencing of proposed projects to best achieve your organization’s overall goals while honoring constraints and external real-world factors.
Examples of important questions related to project portfolio management:
- Why do project portfolio management (PPM)? What’s the value?
- How do we know what projects or initiatives we should start, continue or kill?
- How do we determine whether existing or new projects to stay or go?
- What will tell us that the project is likely to succeed?
- Do we know if we have the right resources and discipline to effectively perform the project?
- Which projects are going to give us the most value quickly?
- What do we do when we know a project won’t close a strategic or operational gap?
Advisory services options
Our project portfolio management accelerators are designed to enable your leadership make the right decisions about the key initiatives and projects to support strategy and create value. We employ a variety of simple management practices and tools to enable you to make the right value-driven decisions. These accelerators are delivered to you through a planning, and 1-2 day workshop. It all depends on your needs and timing. Contact us to find out more.
Too many leaders tell us that they view their organizations’ strategy-development and / or refinement processes as bureaucratic rather than impactful and sparking the right leader and team behaviours. And most would say that often they lose the link between the vision and mission of the organization for long term sustainability when planning on an annualized basis. And, even more shocking, many leaders rarely admit that their strategy is out of date, not right, or even that they have a strategy because they have a budget.
Examples of important questions, if answered honestly, will improve the quality and results from any business planning process:
- Is our current strategy aligned with an adaptive and current business model?
- Has the strategy been shared with and receive support from our shareholder(s)?
- How can we improve our ability to have the right thinking and generate creative ideas to improve our competitive advantage?
- How do we improve our agility and resourcefulness in a hyper-competitive and volatile environment?
- How do we best translate and then connect our vision into strategic corporate plans and annual budgets?
- How do we drive alignment to ensure our strategy is transformed into action?
- What key initiatives or projects will result in our objectives being met efficiently?
- Do our employees understand the key objectives of our strategy?
- Are leader and employee objectives, accountability and rewards linked to our strategy?
We have extensive hands-on and real life experience in helping our clients review and entirely redesign, fine-tune, or augment their planning approaches. Whether focused on strategic or business planning for a private enterprise, a public and multi-national business, a not-for-profit organization, our methods and insights are grounded in the same basic approach. It works every time. Just as us.